In 1955 the area where the mosque now sits belongs to Bukit Sembawang Rubber Estate. The area surrounding it was largely a rubber plantation and it became the main source of income for the villagers in its vicinity. The plantation was then run by Mr Douglas Hoines affectionately known by the locals as Tuan Botak.
Sometime in 1955, the Muslim community in the village approached one of the employees of the estate to request a space where they can build a school to ensure their children are given Islamic education. Together with one of the villagers, they presented their case successfully to Tuan Botak who consented the construction of a small hut where the mosque now sits. The area that was granted was a swampy area and had overgrown bushes that need to be cleared. In the spirit of gotong-royong, the villagers came together to clear the land and back-filled to stabilise the soil for the construction. Much of the construction and expansion of the school was funded by the local villagers. This is the land where they built the aspirations of the parents living in the village for their children. The school was named Madrasah At-Tazbiyah Al-Islamiah and with the new space for learning, the children as well as adults were able to gain better understanding of their faith and practice it better in the context of a multi-religious community in which they live in.
Within the Madrasah’s premise, A small praying area was also constructed for the villagers to pray in congregation daily especially in evenings and during festivities. Surau Nee Soon was also the go-to place for adult learning, religious queries and a focal point for religious commemorations.
In 1958, with the assistance of Mr Ahmad Ibrahim, who was then the Member of Parliament of the area, Madrasah At-Tazbiyah Al-Islamiah was formally registered with the Ministry Of Education. Ustaz Hj Khalil was appointed as the first Principal (Mudir) of the school. Ust Hj Khalil, charted the directions of the school, engage the villagers with activities and classes and retained various religious teachers to provide Islamic education there.
In 1959, Encik Ahmad Ibrahim, Member of Parliament for Sembawang Nee Soon and Minister of Labour helped to realise the aspiration of the villagers by upgrading and improving the facilities of the Surau. He was instrumental in negotiating with the then Land Office which eventually put the address No 15 Jalan Ulu Seletar to it.
In 1961, the Surau was upgraded to the status of a Mosque to meet the growing numbers of Muslim in the area. Sometime within the 12 month, in a vote for a change of name for Surau Nee Soon, the name of Encik Ahmad Ibrahim was chosen to recognize his contribution towards the mosque. The name Surau Nee Soon was then changed to Masjid Ahmad Ibrahim.
Over the years, various other improvements were added to accommodate to the prevailing needs. Today, Masjid Ahmad Ibrahim is able to accommodate some 1,000 people for congregation prayers. It has 7 classrooms to enrich the young minds and a beautiful courtyard to conduct its activities.